Most new driver will not have had the experience of driving at night as the driving lessons will have most probably been taken during the day.
Tiredness, lack of light, compromised night vision, rush hour all contribute to making driving at night more dangerous than during any other time of day. In fact, the risk of an accident is three times greater at night.
Tips to help you:
- Use dipped headlights and make sure they are clean
- Dim your dashboard lights
- Look away from oncoming lights
- If you wear glasses, make sure they’re anti-reflective
- Clean the windshield to eliminate streaks
- Slow down to compensate for limited visibility and reduced stopping time
- Minimize distractions